Sunday, May 2, 2010

What is God doing now?

God has been teaching me about my own personal anger lately. I spend a great deal of time helping other people resolve anger and it has been awhile since I've done any serious work on my own spirit of anger. I have noticed that I am struggling with anger turning into wrath lately and I need to deal with it. So I decided to write about it here. Maybe it will help you as you read this to see your anger as well, and lead to your own anger resolution.
I've been thinking alot lately about a word that has much to do with my own personal anger. The word is, control. I've come to realize that I sometimes use anger to control people and make them do what I want them to do. Raising my voice, slamming my fist down on the table or throwing my chair across the room are all definitely attention getters. What's more disturbing to me than this, however is that anger is only one of the weapons in my arsenal to control other people. Sometimes I use criticism, or blaming, or complaining, and about ten other behaviors to get what I want from others. It is not a good thing that I do this and it fuels my anger in several ways. First of all the desire to control others can set me up to be wrathful because it is the result of having expectations of other people that don't get met. Having expectations of people often generates anger because I really can't control how anyone else behaves. Unmet expectations usually result in anger. This desire to control and the resulting anger affects all of my relationships. Then as I "lose it" trying to control this other person it results in guilt because I know I should not be doing this behavior. The guilt then produces more anger because I'm not resolving the control issue. It becomes a downward spiral that becomes more dificult to climb out of the further down into it I go.
Those that know me understand that I believe anger is not sinful in and of itself. It only becomes sinful when I fail to deal with it quickly and it becomes wrath or malice. Wrath manifests itself in subtle ways sometimes. It doesn't necessarily result in broken household items and sore knuckles. I can express wrath by a snarky comment or sarcasm directed at some person. I can roll my eyes or give a heavy sigh in a way that expresses that I have contempt for that person and a desire to be rid of them. Unresolved anger always turns into wrath. So I end up going round and round this vicious cycle of desiring control, becoming angry because I can't control, raging to try to force the control, and finally guilt because I blew it again. This is not serenity is it? It is instead like a constant state of warfare with others.
So, I am writing this tonight with a repentant spirit and am asking God to help me find peace and serenity in my relationships. Father, take away this desire to control others and make them behave the way I want them to behave. Lord, give me the grace to accept others where they are, letting them be who they are, setting only those boundaries that are necessary for their good as well as mine; speaking truth in love without wrath of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment